Vocabulary is the most important part of language. Without grammar you can communicate with difficulty, but without vocabulary you cannot say anything.
In this post, I would like to teach nearly 30 vocabulary items for different town facilities. I have included an infographic, an online quiz and a worksheet with several vocabulary activities. There is also a video where all the words are pronounced by a native speaker.
Town vocabulary – infographic
Here are all the words and their definitions:
- bank – a place where you keep your money
- airport – a place where planes start and finish their journey
- warehouse – a place where companies keep their goods until they need them
- hotel – a place where you can stay for a night or longer
- wood – a place with a lot of trees
- traffic lights – a set of red, yellow and green lights that shows you whether you can go or you have to stop
- school – a place where you can learn a lot of new things
- train station – a place where trains start and finish their journeys
- apartment house – a building with a lot of apartments
- house -a place where people live
- skyscraper – a very high building
- city centre – the buildings in the middle of a town or a city
- church – a place where people worship
- fire station – a place where firemen keep their equipment
- shopping centre – a place where there are a lot of shops
- park – a place with grass, trees and benches. You can relax there.
- bridge – a structure across a river or a deep valley
- police station – a place where the police are headquartered
- stadium – a place where football or rugby matches are played
- petrol station – a place where you can buy petrol
- hospital – a place where you go when you are really sick
- factory – a place where they make new things
- wharf – a place where they move goods from ships to trucks or warehouses
To learn the correct pronunciation of these words, watch the following video and repeat the words you hear.
Once you feel that you know the vocabulary, it is time to move to the quizzes.
Town vocabulary – online quiz
Town vocabulary – share